Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Bad Advertising of the Week

This Weeks Winner: Merrill Lynch

They are running an ad that has a big bull running around deserted countryside while some non-memorable male voice over talks about BLAH BLAH BLAH experience BLAH which way do you go BLAH help BLAH before the bull appears on a ridge overlooking a large city (New York?).

Who is this ad intended to reach and what am I supposed to remember? I don't remember a single line and if the bull wasn't actually Merrill's logo, I am certain that I wouldn't remember if it was an ad for Merrill or Morgan Stanley (another unmemorable advertiser).

What makes you different? Why should I hire you? What is your personality?

Same space, like the company or not, but Charles Schwab has a personality. Their "Ask Chuck" campaign at least stands out. I hope the Merrill Lynch brokers are good at signing up accounts because I doubt their corporate advertising is helping much.

No comments: