Wednesday, July 23, 2008

GM and Ford - Which Ad Strategy Is Right?

GM, primarily through its Chevy and GMC units, has been advertising heavily over the last week or so. They ads emphasize the (relative) fuel efficiency of its trucks and SUVs in one ad and then the fuel efficiency of their smaller models in another that has been in heavy rotation.

Ford meanwhile has been silent. And so it got me to wondering, what are the different strategies here? It is clear GM is trying to move inventory even in this challenging economy and spending heavily to try and do it. Ford seems to be keeping their powder dry. I am not sure what their plan is.

I think they announce earnings and a new company strategy Thursday, so I would expect to see move advertising from them after Thursday. I would not be against Jim Farley, the CMO at Ford. I am eager to see what comes next.

No comments: