Monday, September 28, 2009

When is Going Green Pure Self Interest?

Ok, so this is a bit of rant, but I really can't stand companies that "offer" you the ability to save the environment. Am I the only one who hates the phone company and the cable company and believes their efforts to "go green" and "save the environment" have nothing to with saving the world or even helping me. Its all about saving them money, pure and simple.

Prove me wrong Verizon, Citibank, Comcast.....what is your overall environmental strategy? Where does less paper fit in? Show me what you are doing and maybe I will believe you. Why do I have to change my behavior to save you money?

But right now I am a very skeptical customer.

If it were my brand, I would be careful to show the customers that my company was changing behavior too. We don't only ask our customers to change their behavior. We change our behavior too. I would share the overall plan. I would provide metrics. I would tell customers how we plowing those saving back into better service or even more environmental measures.

Right now I am certain the savings goes straight to their bottom line. Prove me wrong and I will go paperless, tomorrow.

No comments: