Monday, November 24, 2008

Old School Buzz Marketing -- A Line Out The Door


In Washington a new, little shop has opened -- Georgetown Cupcake. It sells upscale (read expensive and delicous)cupcakes and only cupcakes out of a tiny shop. The shop is so small that only a few customers at a time can fit in there. And whether planned or not, this fact has led to their greatest marketing tool -- a constant line of 15-50 people at all times.

Now don't get me wrong, these ladies are doing everything right. The packaging is clean and sharp and exudes sophistication. The product is very good. Their logo is cool and the company Range Rover that tools around town is "on message."

But the line! If all those people are waiting in line, why aren't I? What am I missing? Those cupcakes must be precious.

If I had been looking for a space to open a cupcake shop, I don't know that I would have worried about customers not fitting into the shop. Frankly, I probably would worry we would have enough customers to keep the shop open. But now that a line is their problem, I say, ladies don't move the shop. Keep the line. Hand out umbrellas. Put 0ut a heat lamp. But keep the line.

No comments: